Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Dwayne McDuffie

CBR News has learned that comic writer, animation producer and respected industry veteran Dwayne McDuffie passed away. The cause of death and specific details are unknown at this time.

This is especially sad news for me.
Back in 1993 I was working a big comic con in Philadelphia. By working I mean I was walking table to table, handing out xerox copies of my Randy comics to anyone who would take them. McDuffie was at the DC Comics area promoting his brand new Milestone imprint. This was a big deal, of course, but he still took the time to look at my stuff. He didn't just set it aside and say he'd look at it later. The guy was right in the middle of publicly launching what would be his biggest contribution to the industry and he took the time to read my pages right there in front of me. He laughed, he offered a few words of advice and he asked if he could keep it to show his friends. I was a real babe in the woods at the time, but still capable of telling the difference between politeness and genuine appreciation. I could tell he really liked it.
Of course we both knew DC Comics wouldn't touch it, but that wasn't the point. I was looking for editorial feedback. His feedback and words of encouragement were helpful. But the fact that he actually liked it- that he laughed- inspired me to keep plugging away. A few months later I would hit pay dirt with Slave Labor Graphics and publish those first stories in Slacker Comics.
That was the only time I had ever talked with Dwayne MCDuffie. But all these years I've always secretly considered him one of my first fans.

You can see that old comic HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment